Here are five ways to make happiness your mission:
1. Think about what you need the most — right at this moment. Do you need some quiet time? A cup of tea? Maybe you need to read something uplifting, or a blog post to lift your spirits … Whatever it is, allow yourself to do it. Give yourself a few minutes, even if you’re in the middle of running errands, writing that memo, or paying your bills. Stop. Just do one pleasurable thing.
2. Burn one of your favorite candles or buy one. Sit and watch the flame. Think about getting in touch with yourself and your needs. Listen to your inner voice without seeking the right answers. Be still.
3. Stop being a news junkie. Quit perusing the web for the latest carjack, murder, health care initiative, or traffic report. Just cut the cord for a day. One day.
4. Start a daily appreciation or gratitude journal. Think of everyone in your life you’re grateful for, why, and how they’ve changed your life. Add to this list daily.
5. Repeat this to yourself any time during the day you have a negative thought, “Everything is as it should be. I am OK.”
Do you have any happiness hints of your own? Have you tried any of these suggestions? Share them with us.