There is little in our life that can’t be enhanced by the glow of a candle. Whether it is a spiritually-purposed candle, or simply a fragrant one, candles bring warmth and energy to any environment.
At some point in your life, you have most likely made a candle. A holiday gift you made at school as a child, or a milk-carton candle you fashioned at summer camp. Rolled bees-wax candles are the simplest to make, and are perfect for those who want to actively participate in a spiritual act but may lack crafting skills. The supplies are easy to come by, as flat pieces of bees-wax can be purchased at most craft stores, and you will also need a wick and dried herbs or oils.
Try this simple candle-making exercise, from beginning to end, to help you be prepared and confident in achieving your desired goals.
1. Begin by focusing on your desired goal or outcome. Placing your hands on top of the wax, announce your prayer or wish. This creates a charge with your personal energy, and programs your desires into the candle you are crafting.
2. Begin by cutting the wax sheet into the desired height you would like the candle.
3. Place the wick at the edge of the wax sheet, allowing approximately one inch to hang off of the wax, as this will serve as the wick.
4. Delicately fold the wax sheet over the wick, just enough to cover and secure the wick. If the wax appears to be cold and rigid, you can use a hair dryer to increase the temperature of the wax and ease of molding.
5. After the wick is secured, sprinkle herbs to concentrate your candle, or add a few drops of purpose oil. You can use the blow dryer to lightly heat the wax, which will allow you to press the herbs into the wax easily.
Here’s a few suggestions of meaningful herbs:
Love: Rose, Lavender, Cinnamon
Money: Clove, Sage, Pine, Basil, Mint
Protection: Sage, Frankincense, Dragon’s Blood
Psychic Awareness: Anise, Rosemary
Purification: Sandalwood, Sage, Thyme, Musk, Pine, Cedar
Stress: Patchouli, Lavender, Camphor, Copal
Grounding Yourself: Nag Champa, Sandalwood
6. As you begin to roll the candle, focus on your intentions and desires. If you want to bring an energy to you – money or love, for example – roll the wax towards you as you roll the candle. If you’re trying to remove negativity, roll the candle away from you in a banishing motion.
7. After rolling the candle, heat the edge of the wax, lightly pressing it to maintain the candle’s shape.
These hand-rolled candles are simple to create, yet profound in their purpose. Sometimes simpler is better, allowing for greater concentration on intention. When you light these candles, you can see their energetic purpose and spiritual language, with words expressed by the flickering flame spoken to the Heavens.
Do you have a question for Marin? Ask Marin your question now.