Everyone has bouts of gloom and unhappiness in their lives. It is the strength and courage to pry out of that dark place that makes you whole again. We want to help you on that journey and have some great tips and advice to lead the way.
Take Stock of Yourself and Be Thankful
In the movie Sideways, two buddies take a road trip through California’s wine country. Paul Giamatti’s character is a depressed, angsty, lonely writer. His friend has to constantly remind him: “Don’t go to the dark places.”
No matter how happy and contented we are most of the time, we all take a detour into the dark places sometimes. Congratulations, we’re human!
But once you realize that you’ve shifted downward, there’s nothing to be gained by lingering in the depths. Eventually we have to get over wallowing in the sadness, and cease worrying, complaining, and stewing about it. Life is too amazing for that; it just becomes very hard to forget this in our darkest moments. If you need help finding your way ask a psychic about your situation today!
So let these ideas shift you out of that dark place into a brighter one. Sometimes a shift is all you need.
1. You are not your thoughts. I thank the authors Eckhart Tolle and Wayne Dyer for bringing this idea home to me. Our thoughts can create negative interpretations of our lives that aren’t reality. When you recognize that your troublesome thoughts aren’t who you are; you’re free to break away from the painful hold they once had on you.
2. Replace old habits with new habits. If you want to get rid of a bad habit like complaining or being pessimistic, you have to have something better ready to take its place. Try positive affirmations or healing mantras to replace old, negative soundtracks in your head.
3. Make a physical shift! Stand up and get moving. Do something active and healthy for your body, even if it’s just a long walk. Exercise releases healthy hormones and endorphins that naturally bring happiness and peace of mind.
4. Change the scenery. If you can’t change the physical scenery by getting out and about, you can change your mental scenery by reading a funny website or reading an inspiring article or book. Cleaning your living area to bring positive new visuals into your home life will refresh your mental and emotional states too.
5. Get some form of healing or therapy. There are many kinds of healing beyond talk therapy, like sound, music, or art therapy. Explore what speaks to you. It’s also healing to find a trusted person to talk with.
6. Write it out. Just write about where you are in this moment. Sometimes when we’re in a negative place, that place wants a voice. Give it a voice for a page or so to release it. Then you can let it go and move on.
7. Do something to help somebody else out. It can be as involved as an afternoon of volunteering or as simple as straightening up items in a grocery store. Helping others lifts our spirits and takes our minds off repetitive and self-absorbed thoughts.
8. Forgiveness. When we forgive, we’re not condoning another’s bad behavior; we’re releasing the hold that behavior has on us. Doreen Virtue has a great exercise she calls the “forgiveness corral.” Imagine that the people who’ve wronged you are held in a pen, or corral, in your mind. Then open the door and with full forgiveness allow them to leave, one by one.
9. Let love in. Negativity, worry and fear are the absence of love. When you love showers your whole being, there’s no room left for the dark places to take over. It can start as simply as setting the affirmation: “I am a being of love, surrounded by love always.”
10. Be thankful for everything. As the tapestry of our lives unfolds, we gain perspective. We realize that A led to B which led to C. Or maybe A had to go to M, then double back and take the long way to C, for reasons that become crystal-clear as time goes on. Saying thank you to all the events of our lives puts the power back in your hands. You’ve learned the lesson this event needed to teach, you’re moving forward with gratitude and grace and you’re stronger than you ever would have known.
“Trust that what you are asking for will come to be. Know that the source has heard your questions and trust it will be handled.” – Mimi ext. 5522
Exclusive offer: New customers can speak to a psychic for ONLY $1 per minute. Select your psychic advisor here.
Need help getting out of your dark place?
Talk to a psychic and find out how. Call 1.800.573.4830
or choose your psychic now.