I know we get worried when we see Mercury retrograde coming up; it does seem to affect phones, computers and vehicles, as well as communication in the work world and in our relationships. It creates challenges and malfunctions, and brings lessons. How can we weather these periods of time better, and even use them to our advantage?
1. Accept that the lessons coming will help you to improve your life, your relationships, and the overall quality of your spiritual path. As with most lessons in life they come up for a specific reason. Telephones down? Maybe you need to let go of, or find a different way to handle, that communication. Think twice about the thing you are “unable” to do due to the “malfunction.” Is there a lesson in that for you?
2. Be grateful for the lessons! Embracing your lessons will do much to soften how hard they “hit” you. Think of a child who cries and suffers before going to a new school, only to find a wonderful new teacher and a wonderful friend, or more! Know that whenever you look deeply into how to be a better person, and take action, your self esteem goes up, and so does your personal happiness!
3. Be aware of when retrogrades are coming. You can seek that information from many online astrology sources; it’s in the back of my daytime calendar. Check your day timer. By becoming aware of when they happen, you can be more careful to avoid misunderstandings, have back up plans for transportation, travel, or any kind of communications. Being more aware lets you plan ahead for problems instead of being surprised by them.
4. Honor these days as divine lessons. I light a red candle on my altar every single day of Mercury retrograde. As I light it in the morning I ask to be guided in my lessons, and to have the courage to keep my eyes open to my own words and behaviors in order to become a better person.
5. Set the timing for upcoming events around these dates and remember the “ripple effect.” Once the direction of the planet “appears” to change, it’s much like a motorboat going past you on a river. There are ripples and a series of wakes that will also take you up and down—allow three days on either side!
I actually look forward to retrograde periods now as times when the divine lessons become clearer to me, and easier to see—and because of my perception of gratitude and preparation, I do not stress, or have drama, over things that don’t go “as planned,” which is a real triumph for a Virgo! Here are some upcoming dates for 2011—let’s see if you can change your experience:
March 30th 4:48PM EST – April 23rd 6:04AM EST
August 2nd 11:50PM EST – August 26th 6:03PM EST
November 24th 2:19AM EST – December 13th 8:43PM EST