Religious mysteries have inspired hope, faith and awe for millions of people throughout history. Whether you’re a person of faith, science, or both, these five mysteries may just leave you awestruck.
• The Three Secrets of the Lady of Fatima. On May 13, 1917, in Fatima, Portugal, three children met the Virgin Mary, who imparted to them three secrets regarding the future of the world. The third was kept secret until June of 2000 – it contained a vision of the future of the Catholic Church and of mankind. Some, however, maintain that this “secret” was a cover-up, and the real secret has never been released.
• Possessions. Since the beginning of mankind, possessions have been believed to take place when evil spirits take hold of a human subject, causing the person to hear voices, receive messages, and engage in various acts of anti-social behavior. People of faith hold that these events are real, whereas modern science believes that these are states caused by severe stress, depression, and other forms of mental illness.
• The Shroud of Turin. This is the loin cloth worn by Jesus at his Crucifixion. A ghostly image of Jesus is clearly imprinted upon the cloth. One side believes that the image was an energetic cosmic imprint created at the moment of his death, while others believe (based of carbon dating) that it was made by the great Leonardo Da Vinci.
• The Bible Code. Also known as the Torah Code, the Bible Code is thought to be one of the greatest religious mysteries of our time. Discovered in 1994 by three scientists, the code consists of all of the Hebrew letters contained within the Torah (Old Testament), with no spacing. Through present day technology, scientists have engineered a system that reveals the prophecies of all historical people, inventions, major wars and world events as well as names, dates and locations of every event contained within it.
• The Ark of the Covenant. The Ark was a sacred box built by the Israelites to contain the actual tablets of the Ten Commandments. It was carried into battles because of its holy powers, and was believed to be a transmitter to God. The Ark was eventually lost, although scientists and other researchers believe that it was ultimately hidden, and still exists today.
Will some of these secrets be revealed during our lifetime? And might psychics be able tap into the truth?