What is a Medium?
A Medium is someone who uses their extrasensory perception to communicate with those who have passed on and other spiritual beings. Those who practice mediumship act as a kind of conduit or bridge between the physical world to the Other Side and bring through information from heavenly spirits to give to the querent. They help with connecting these energies. A Medium is psychic but not every psychic chooses to work as a Medium.
A Brief History
Mediumship is an ancient tradition but grew to greater prominence during the Spiritualist Movement which began sometime during the mid-1800s. Abraham Lincoln and his wife Mary Todd attended séances given by Mediums who practiced spiritualism, in the hope of communicating with their deceased children. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the author of the Sherlock Holmes stories, believed in and supported mediumship.
Abilities of a Medium
Most Mediums begin their process of accessing spirits on the Other Side by using meditation. They also employ some form of psychic self-defense to protect them from dark entities. This protection involves varying techniques, such as prayer and affirmations, surrounding themselves with white light, and stepping into an envisioned bubble shield. Some tap into subtle energies using tools such as Tarot or through scrying using a crystal ball.
A note of
caution: As with many things, deception can be practiced by ill-intentioned
people who pretend to be Medium Psychics so they can prey upon the pain and
longing of others, usually for their own gain. As always, let your intuition be
your guide before deciding to work with anyone.
A Diversity of
Did you know
there are different types of Mediums with different abilities to connect with those
who have passed on? They fall into two general categories: Mental Mediumship,
and Physical Mediumship.
While individual Mediums
may mix and match abilities from both areas, Mental Mediumship involves the
psychic connecting their consciousness directly with a spirit in a telepathic
bond and speaking what the spirit is saying through them.
Physical Mediumship involves the use of physical energies, allowing a spirit to inhabit and take control of their bodies. This is a form of channeling which is different from possession, where a dark entity attempts to violate a person’s boundaries through force to control them. Let’s look at the two types of mediums and their abilities.
Mental Mediums and Their Abilities
- Clairvoyance, or clear seeing, which they can use to see disembodied spirits and/or spirit messages through their mind’s eye. Some describe it as similar to a movie playing in their mind. This includes seeing auras.
- Clairaudience, or clear hearing, is where the Medium can hear spirit voices communicating with them, which includes spoken thought, music, and singing.
- Clairsentience, or clear feeling, involves the Medium’s sensing of a spiritual presence. They may feel a spirit’s touch or pick up on an ailment the soul suffered while they were in a body.
- Clairalience, or clear smelling, where a Medium might smell a scent such as roses or a favorite perfume of someone who died.
- Clairgustance, or clear tasting, comes in when a Medium is given a literal taste of something, such as a once favored food of a spirit.
Physical Mediums and Their Abilities
- Levitation, in which inanimate objects lift into the air on their own, or the Medium’s body levitates.
- Automatic Writing, where the Medium holds a writing instrument on paper and relinquishes conscious control to allow a spirit to write its messages through them. Ouija boards are another form used in this way.
- Raps tend to be used by spirits to make audible rapping noises to answer “yes” or “no” questions or acknowledge alphabet letters to slowly spell out messages.
- Ectoplasm, where the Medium’s bodily substance is mixed with an etheric substance which enables a spirit to affect physical matter and can be seen by the naked eye.
- Materializations, in which the materialization of a spirit can be seen in its once human form, as in ghosts. They are sometimes seen in séances but can be seen by anyone, anywhere. They can also appear as orbs.
- Channeling involves allowing a spirit to inhabit the Medium’s physical body to speak through them. The Medium’s expression and voice may change significantly to resemble the spirit inside them.
Well Known Mediums
information and proven remedies from Spirit are in wide use to this day.
A gifted Medium and
author whose group channeling is done in place of traditional séances.
Jerry and Esther
Abraham, and a large part of their work has centered around the Law of
Roberts is the author of the Seth Material. She initially channeled the spirit of Seth using an Ouija board, until the board was no longer necessary. The core teachings of Seth, in essence, is that thoughts create things. (A note on the use of Ouija boards: When approached with positive intention and prayer for protection, they can be used as a tool for channeling loving messages from good spirits, but this is just one method.)
realm of television and movies offers some worthwhile viewing that may give you
a good idea of what it’s like to be a genuine Medium.
shows that focus directly on practicing Mediums are:
- Medium: This show
is based on the real-life experiences of Allison DuBois, a talented Medium.
- Long Island
Medium: Featuring Medium, Theresa Caputo.
- The Haunting Of…:
Featuring Medium Kim Russo who is also known as, “The Happy Medium.”
A few movies that
involve experiences with Mediumship:
- The Sixth Sense
- The Uninvited (1944)
- The Conjuring (movie series)
Death is not the end of your strong bonds with your loved ones. A psychic medium can connect you to those who have crossed over. During a psychic medium reading, you can share messages, get closure, and so much more.
Learn more about how psychic readings work backed by real testimonials. Find a psychic medium or learn more about psychic medium readings today.
About California Psychics
California Psychics is the most trusted source of psychic readings. We have delivered over 11 million discreet and confidential psychic readings by phone since 1995. More than a prediction, we are your guide for life’s journey. Learn more about how psychic readings work and explore the California Psychics blog. With over 500 psychics online to choose from with real customer reviews, you’re sure to find the best psychics for you. Call one of our trusted and accurate psychics today! Confidential and secure, real psychics, accurate predictions, 100% guaranteed.