Any Gemstone but a Diamond
Everyone knows that diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but did you know Princess Diana, Jackie Kennedy, Victoria Beckham, and Halle Berry all chose non-diamond, gemstone engagement rings? What that means is, if you (or your fiancée to be) has no interest in diamonds, you’ll be in excellent company. But some gemstones are better than others when it comes to lasting the test of time. So how do you choose the best one?
How to Choose a Different Engagement Gemstone
According to Corinne Davis of Doamore.com, any gemstone at 7.5 or above on the Mohs Hardness Scale, or MHS, makes for the best choice of engagement ring gemstone. While diamonds come in at 10 MHS (which is the highest), this same scale offers plenty of other beautiful and durable gemstones to choose from, for you naturally want that which symbolizes your greatest love to last forever. Some of the gemstones it suggests you stay away from due to their lack of durability include: Opal, Amethyst, Morganite, Tanzanite, Rose Quartz, or Pearl.
Aligning Your Engagement Gemstone with Your Chakras
The four precious gemstones of the world are diamonds, rubies, blue sapphires, and emeralds. The other jewels listed here are semi-precious. While there are other gems to consider, here are the seven best gemstone alternatives for engagement rings. These beauties come in a vast array of colors and each color aligns with a chakra. Here’s a quick list for your perusal:
- White/Colorless: All chakras, especially the Crown Chakra
- Violet/Purple: Crown Chakra
- Indigo/Blue-Violet: Third Eye/Brow Chakra
- Blue/Blue-Green: Throat Chakra
- Green or Pink: Heart Chakra
- Yellow/Gold-Yellow: Solar Plexus/Navel Chakra
- Orange/Gold-Orange/Peach: Sacral Chakra
- Red, Silver-Grey, or Black: Root/Base Chakra
- Emerald engagement or wedding ring: 7.5/10 MHS. Known as the “Stone of Successful Love,” emerald is the purest crystal of the Green Ray and is aligned with the Heart Chakra. The Romans associated emeralds with the goddess of love, Venus. Green is the color of growth, health, healing, foresight, and is believed to help create abundance in money and love. It is thought to produce domestic bliss, calm, inspiration, patience, and contentment in love.
- Aquamarine engagement or wedding ring: 7.5/10 MHS. Called the “Stone of Courage and Illumination,” Aquamarine is aligned with both the Heart and Throat Chakras, and its pretty shades of blue-green are considered to be healing, calming, and protective. It is said to create a flowing feeling of serenity while promoting intuition, happiness, blessings, prosperity, eternal youth, and heartfelt communication. Believed to symbolize Heaven-sent love, it inspires harmony and tranquility, and is said to increase commitment and fidelity, “as long as the waters of the earth flow.” -Eason
- Spinel engagement or wedding ring: 8/10 MHS. Named the “Stone of Immortal Beauty,” Spinel comes in a vast array of colors, including: Violet/purple (Crown Chakra), blue (Third Eye/Brow Chakra), green or pink (Heart Chakra), yellow (Solar Plexus/Navel Chakra), peach (Sacral Chakra), red, and black (Root/Base Chakra). The name Spinel comes from the Greek word meaning “sparkling,” and helps create fiery love and sexual passion. Said to strengthen love relationships into a powerful bond, it inspires hope, devotion, and longevity.
- Topaz engagement or wedding ring: 8/10 MHS. Called the “Stone of True Love and Success in All Endeavors,” Topaz comes in many colors: White/Colorless (all chakras), blue (Throat Chakra), pink (Heart Chakra), yellow-gold (Solar Plexus Chakra), orange-gold, and peach (Sacral Chakra). A word of warning: Be sure to avoid the multi-colored “Mystic” topaz variety, as it is just a surface coat of color and can scratch right off. Go for an Alexandrite instead if you want a rainbow color effect. Topaz in Sanskrit means fire. Egyptians associated golden topaz with the sun god Ra. Romans thought topaz represented Jupiter, the god of the sun. Said to create wealth in love and money, it is associated with royalty, and is believed to promote understanding, lovingkindness, empathy, and compassion in love.
- Alexandrite engagement or wedding ring: 8.5/10 MHS. Known as the “Stone of Regeneration,” it has the enchanting ability to change colors under different lighting. It comes in colors of: Rainbow (all chakras), Violet (Crown Chakra), light blue (Third Eye/Brow Chakra), green or pink (Heart Chakra), yellow (Solar Plexus/Navel Chakra), orange (Sacral Chakra), red, and black (Root/Base Chakra). Alexandrite is believed to promote emotional and physical balance, self-esteem, protection, healing, personal magnetism, and charisma. Said to be an emerald by day and a ruby by night, it brings blessings of good fortune and enduring love.
- Ruby engagement or wedding ring: 9/10 MHS. Named the “Stone of Nobility,” its hardness, along with the Sapphire, is second only to the diamond. (Garnet is softer at 6.5 to 7.5 MHS, and unless it is a minimum of 7.5 MHS, can be a riskier choice in terms of durability.) Associated with the Heart and Root/Base Chakras, rubies are believed to bring wealth, prosperity, peace, protection, and help resolve disputes. Ranging in color from pinkish-red to deep, fiery red to a reddish plum, rubies are considered to be potent aphrodisiacs, invoking intense love and passion that spans lifetimes.
- Sapphire engagement or wedding ring: 9/10 MHS. Called the “Stone of Prosperity,” sapphires sparkle in all colors of the rainbow, including: White (all chakras), purple (Crown Chakra), blue (Throat Chakra), green or pink (Heart Chakra), and red (Root/Base Chakra). Greco-Roman mythology associated sapphires with Apollo, the god of sun and light, as well as psychic ability, logic, reason, music, and healing. This is the stone of wisdom, royalty, and Divine energy, inspiring truth, purity, faithfulness, loyalty, sincerity, and abiding love.
May this list help you find the perfect gemstone to express the true love you feel, and allow it to shine through eternity.
Being in love is a life experience that everyone deserves. Whether you’re looking for your soulmate or wondering how to keep the romantic fires burning in your relationship, a love psychic can help. They want to see you happy and a psychic love reading is all you need to find or keep the love that is meant for you.
Find a love psychic or learn more about psychic love readings.
About California Psychics
California Psychics is the most trusted source of psychic readings. We have delivered over 6 million discreet and confidential psychic readings by phone since 1995. More than a prediction, we are your guide for life’s journey. Serenity, happiness, and success are just a phone call away. With over 400 psychics online to choose from, you’re sure to find the best psychics for you. Call one of our trusted and accurate psychics today! Confidential and secure, real psychics, accurate predictions, 100% guaranteed.